10 Steps to Hanging the SOLD Sign in Your Front Yard.
If you are looking or thinking of selling your home this post is for you! We put together 10 steps that you will take when selling your home. The selling process can seem overwhelming, let our team of expert agents will be with you every step that we have listed in our post.
1. Meet with an Oakridge Realtor: You and your Oakridge agent will sit down and discuss your goals for selling your home and how working with a Realtor can help you achieve them. This process will take roughly one or two hours.
2. Sign Listing Agreement and Disclosures: When you decide to work with an Oakridge Agent, signing the listing agreement and disclosures will make our partnership official. We will guide you through the terms of the agreement so you know exactly what you are signing. This will take an hour or less to complete.
3. Prepare Your Home for Sale: Your agent will help you view your home from a buyer's perspective. Together you will determine what to repair, replace, or remove so your home makes a strong first impression. This process can vary on time depending on your home's condition and the agreed upon modifications.
4. Market and Promote Your Home: The great thing about this step of the process is you don't have to life a finger! Your Oakridge agent will ensure your home is made visible to potential buyers across various channels - on the MLS, our very own Oakridge website, Facebook page, and other social channels, as well as Zillow and other real estate sites.
5. Show Your Home: Now it is time to show off your home! Your Oakridge realtor will work with you to schedule open houses and showings as agents and buyers start rolling in. Shows typically last 30-60 minutes.
6. Negotiate Offers and Accept an Offer: As soon as a buyer decides to purchase your home, an offer will be presented. As a seller, you can either accept, reject, or counter the offer. Your agent will advise you on the offer and help you determine whether the buyer is qualified. You agent will negotiate on your behalf. If you come to terms on an offer, your agent will notify the buyer that you have decided to accept their offer to purchase your home. Usually the offer will come with contingencies (financial, inspection, appraisal, etc.). This process usually take a day or two to complete.
7. Inspections, Appraisal, and Resolving Contingencies: Before approving financing for your home, many lender will require an inspection and/or appraisal of your home. Your agent will work with the buyer and the buyer's agent to coordinate if needed. Before your home can officially be considered 'sold', all contingencies must be removed. The sale of your home may be contingent on a home inspection, on the value of the appraisal, matching the value of the purchase agreement, or on the buyer's ability to secure financing. This takes roughly two to four weeks to complete.
8. Conduct Final Walk-Through: The buyer and the buyer's agent will conduct a final walk-through of your home before closing to make sure all agreed upon repairs have been made and that the home is in the same condition as when the purchase agreement was made. This take 30-60 minutes to complete.
9. Finalize Closing Documents and Title Transfer: A few days before closing, your agent will connect with the title company and the buyer's agent to make sure all forms and documents have been prepared. Your agent will let you know if there is any additional information you should bring with you to the closing. This will be completed prior to closing.
10. Close on Your Home: Behind the scenes, your Oakridge agent is working with the buyer's agent to finalize the sale. On closing day, you will meet with your agent, the buyer's lender, and the buyer to sign any closing documents. This is when you will officially give the buyer the keys to their new home! Usually take 30-60 minutes to complete.
Check out our other blog posts below for additional selling education!